VBS and Rustic Youth Camp are done.
VBS went very well, I think. I ended up not doing quite all that I planned, but that was ok, and a good lesson to learn in not biting off more than I can chew. Usually, if I don’t end up achieving all that I hoped to on a project, I blame myself for not working harder. Maybe, finally, I am coming to realize that some of the problem is that I tend to have grand ideas–bigger than I am able to pull off sometimes. This season in my life is teaching me that I don’t have to do amazing and spectacular things to be effective.
Camp was wonderful. It was so much fun to have Sarah and the kids there. It was a blessing to see so many good friends and to make new ones, too. I need to work on the way I interact with children, including mine. I have a tendency to be more stern than I need to be–to jump to sternness instead of letting gentleness be my trademark. I don’t think I did a bad job as a teacher, but I could have done better. Always more to learn.
To review my last post, I was anxious because I wanted to have an ultrasound done on my neck to look for suspicious lymph nodes. The American Thyroid Association and the National Comprehensive Cancer Network both recommend such an ultrasound prior to surgery for Papillary Thyroid Carcinoma (PTC) because it spreads to lymph nodes so frequently, and it’s better to get effected lymph nodes out in the first surgery if possible.
I was going to try to just accept that Dr. B hadn’t ordered it and it would be ok, but I couldn’t let it go, so I emailed him to ask him about it. He said that he would be glad to do it, and I told him I would take him up on it.
Then I kept on reading–I wanted to learn more about the particular variant I was diagnosed with–Follicular Variant Papillary Thyroid Carcinoma (FVPTC) and even more specifically, encapsulated follicular variant (EnFVPTC). What I learned was that EnFVPTC is much less likely than PTC to spread to lymph nodes. (More about that in my next post.) So then I felt a little silly about requesting the ultrasound. I decided that if they called and told me it was scheduled during camp week I would just cancel it rather than rescheduling.
And that’s what happened. Dr. B’s nurse called and told me my ultrasound was set for July 3rd. I told her that I would just cancel it, since I would be out of town. Then ADI–the place that actually does the ultrasounds–called to pre-register me. I cancelled with them as well. Then, while I was gone, ADI called the house REPEATEDLY to pre-register me, and Dr. B’s nurse called me again to tell me that my ultrasound was actually July 2nd, not the 3rd. All this was kind of confusing to me, since I had told Dr. B’s nurse that I was cancelling the ultrasound, since it was at my request anyway. I am sure that Dr. B is going to think I am a complete nut job before this is all over. The only thing I know to do is to be as sweet as possible to them.
Also behind me is another crisis on this journey. I had to decide whether or not to have this surgery done. I’ve already outlined my anxieties about it. For a few days, I was seriously considering calling it off. Ultimately, I decided that I would do it.
The main reason for me to not have the surgery was fear of an apocalyptic future event that would leave me without medicine. What I decided was that in such an event, my survival was unlikely anyway, and I couldn’t base my decision on speculation. If I kept half of my thyroid, my chances of recurrence would be much higher.
I have also been anxious about adjusting to life without a thyroid–again, the message boards add fuel to the fire. There are so many over there who have struggled to adjust to life on thyroid replacement.
And the honest truth is that I know myself, and I am a person who likes to keep my options open. I don’t like making irreversible decisions.
Anyway, my completion thyroidectomy is scheduled for Thursday, July 11th, three days from now. After all of that, I feel that it’s the best decision I could make for my circumstances. I’m hoping all of these anxieties can just be water under the bridge as we move forward.
Tagged: cancer, follicular variant papillary thyroid carcinoma, hemithyroidectomy, lymph nodes, Papillary Thyroid Carcinoma, partial thyroidectomy, PTC, research, surgery, thyca, thyroid, thyroid cancer, thyroid lobectomy, thyroid surgery, thyroid ultrasound, thyroidectomy